ATC is an investment that pays off fast. Always operating with the correct drive combination means that the job gets done quickly and effectively. It reduces articulated truck fuel consumption by up to six percent – and the machine’s environmental impact is reduced by just as much. It’s also easy to see the advantages with ATC in the long run. ATC reduces tire wear and protects the articulated truck's drivetrain against damage and unnecessary wear.
Example cost savings (A40E)
- 2000 machine hours per year
- Fuel consumption 25L(6.6gal) per hour
- $3 per gallon diesel fuel
- $50,000 for a set of 29.5 tires
- 6000 hours lifetime on a set of tires with ATC
- 6% savings on fuel and 10% increase in tire life.
Extensive field testing of Volvo articulated trucks with ATC showed a maximum of 6% savings due to proper engagement and disengagement of 6x6 mode.
2,000 x 6.6 x 3 x 6% = $2376 per year
50,000 x 10% / 6000 = $.83 per hour = $1667 per year
Total savings per year = $4043
*an increase in production is not considered in this calculation